Candle Club 101
Tips for Candle Care
Yay! You’ve found your signature scents and made your seasonal haul! You are all stocked up and ready to enjoy. Or maybe you are still exploring and trying several of our trial-sized minis. Either way, you are ready to burn! But not so fast. We at Scented Company want you to get the most out of your fragrance experience…. Safely. So here are a few expert candle care tips:
- If not already done, please trim all wicks to between ½- ¼ of an inch before lighting. Too long of a wick will cause an excessively large flame, which can rise outside of the container—making it riskier to burn in various surroundings. Also, too large of a flame may cause your candle to burn faster than it should—shortening the life of your unit.
- Perfect the “pattern burn”. It is important to burn your candles correctly for your first light up session. That is because natural soy wax has a memory. It will continue to burn in the same pattern it achieved that first time around. To prevent tunneling or uneven burning, it is essential that you let it burn long enough for the wax across the full circumference of the container to melt, creating a pool of at least a ½ inch. Typically, this means 1-2 hours for our full-sized candles and 30-45 min for our minis.
- Never burn any candle for more than 4 hours straight (2 hours for minis)! This will cause way too much wax to liquefy and may cause wicking issues, like loosening the adhesive at the base and ending up with a floating wick.
- Never burn candles unattended. That means sleeping, too. If you are getting drowsy, take a second to blow it out. Aromatherapy can be an amazing remedy for insomnia, but safety first!
- If you can, invest in a candle snuffer to extinguish your candles instead of blowing it out. We know. It can be hard to resist, but using a snuffer prevents your wick from mushrooming and dropping black particles into your wax. If you are a blower, then be sure to give the wick a few minutes to cool and then trim away the very top (about ½ inch) after each burn session.